For real. I just used that as a title to this post. My, oh my.
But I've been thinking about stuff recently, you know, in this little head of mine. Thoughts about what happiness looks like. I guess specifically what it looks like for me, since I've pretty much come to the conclusion that "happiness" as a general term likely looks somewhat different to each individual person. It's been helpful for me to analyze it (haha. in my stack-upon-disorganized-stack of a life...) and make a mental list of sorts to keep me on the halfway-sane track. (haha, again? perhaps.)
All of these happiness thoughts came right before I started a challenge with a few of my friends. The Unwired Mom Challenge urges you to stop and think before you mindlessly tap on that Instagram app, and encourages a more purposeful way of day-to-day living. It's been wonderful. And, oh-so-needed in my life. In this age of iphone-in-my-pocket, 24hr-internet - it's all too easy to become addicted to apps and sites that really are a fun way to see what folks are up to, and to connect with friends near and far, but not a necessary part of living. For me those apps are Instagram and Facebook, or idea sites like Pinterest, or blogs, or whatever. But these things are not important to me, or necessary for my happiness, or my well-being. At least that's what I say. But I came to realize that if I really believe that the apps on my iphone, or just my phone in general are not important to me, then I needed to make a few personal changes so that my children would concur with that fact - and hopefully be able to shrug and say, "Sure, mom likes to check her stuff online, but it's not her most favorite thing to do."
So ya, check out the ebook if you're so inclined -- I think it's well worth the read (+ the bonus CoreLies book hidden in the Unwired book -- CoreLies is a free book and only 30pgs... so you should probably go and read it real quick :).
So, coming back around to this silly domestic bliss business... I've realized that for me the key ingredients to my happiness are: my husband, my kids, family and friends, music (playing, teaching and hearing), good food, reading, and sharing what I have with others -- and when one or more of these things go missing or are neglected then my brain gets a little rattly. So I'm learning to try and strike a balance. It's a process, lemme tell ya, and there are weeks when it feels really good, and other weeks when, quite honestly, everything falls apart, and it feels really rotten -- but I guess life is like that, and I thank God for the grace He pours out to me every day -- and for the amazing opportunity to have family and things that feed my soul. I thank God for all of these blessings -- and I pray that I use them in His service and for His glory -- and show a glimpse of the heart of Jesus to my children, my family, and everyone around me.
End rant and ramblings. I love you all.
And it just wouldn't be right to not post a pic of my little lovelies. Update to follow, to be sure.
Enjoyed the post! My favorite phrase these days is "live intentionally." Loving life in my little corner of the world, and the people I am surrounded with!
ReplyDeleteAlisha
I wish I had unlimited time and unlimited energy. I'll bet you do, too. :)
ReplyDeleteBut... since we don't, we'll continue to be thankful and love life. And all that other stuff, the parts we don't like... hmmmm... well, let's keep in mind that it's temporary and deal with it as best we can.
Your little lovelies are indeed lovely. What a gift they are.